Where does one begin after the President’s State of Confusion speech this week? What is up is down, what is in is out. If you’re successful you’ll be punished. If you’re lazy or unwilling you’ll be rewarded. Smarter government means more government programs and intrusion. Due process means government will duly process requests to assassinate American citizens. The rules that govern government – the Constitution – are ignored and government does whatever it desires. There are no limits to the powers of government. This should scare the hell out you.
It has truly become a mad, mad, mad, mad, world. After some personal encounters this week I have been scratching my head thinking about the Orwellian world we live in.
George Orwell said, “In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act”.
Orwell’s statement made me think. If things were so bad and there was truly no way to fix the real problems, would government tell us? It also reminded me of a line from a Pink Floyd song; “Mother Should I Trust the Government?”
In 2011, the Prime Minister of Luxembourg met with European Finance Ministers. When the press questioned him he denied it though the Finance Ministers confirmed it. When confronted with this he said, and I’m paraphrasing, “when things get this bad you have to lie to the people, you cannot tell them what’s really happening”.
Most of what we read and hear from the government or the media is lies, deceptions, and half-truths. Narratives and ideology trump truth, facts, and empirical data.
If things are truly orderly, lawful, open and transparent then why are the following true:
- A mayor bans soft drinks but approves of giving abortion pills to twelve year olds.
- Millions are killed every year from abortion, yet people are outraged if a child is killed by someone using a gun.
- A thousand years of due process rights are erased by the swipe of a pen when the DOJ approves of the assassination of American citizens without due process.
- People can be kidnapped in broad daylight under NDAA provisions, detained indefinitely, and without trial.
- The constitution is ignored or violated because people posit the idea it is a living breathing document and requires interpretation; which can only be done by nine politically connected and motivated people in black dresses. That we cannot possible know what people meant over 200 years ago.
- Money has no intrinsic value. The government can print money at will which allows them to devalue the currency and destroy lives and livelihoods. What government doesn’t tell you is the entire system is set up against us. The global monetary system is debt based and requires a doubling of the total debt-credit market every seven years. There is no way to repay the outstanding debt or meet the unfunded liability obligations.
- You are forced to buy a good or service against your free will or face a fine or imprisonment. Government says it’s a tax, then it’s not a tax, then exempts favored political constituent groups, then fines people for not purchasing health care, that it turns out will cost $16,000 annually for a family of four.
- Since 2007, the working age population increased by 12 million yet there are 4 million less people employed. Yet, we are in a recovery.
- The labor participation rate is 63.6%. There are 101 million working age people that are unemployed. Yet, we are in a recovery according to the government.
- The $800 billion stimulus has been repeated for 5 years now. That is $4 trillion of so-called stimulus. Yet, there is no economic recovery, the debt has risen by 65% over that time, the purchasing power of the dollar is being destroyed and there are 100s of millions of people on food stamps.
- The real inflation rate the past twelve years has been between the range of 5 and 12%. Yet, the government tells us inflation is only 1-2%.
- There is no incentive to save only to consume. Real interest rates are negative (interest rate less real inflation rate). Purchasing power is destroyed. The middle class is begin systematically destroyed by fiscal and monetary policy.
If the government and the media actually disseminated facts, truth, and empirical data with us at least we’d know where we stand. Instead, people want to believe the narrative, the propaganda, and the lies. People prefer to live in a land of rainbows and lollipops.
Aldous Huxley said, “Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”
For centuries Rome was the most powerful nation-state in the world. Nobody could defeat them militarily. Yet, Rome did fall. Rome rotted from the inside out. Moral decay, debt, and debased currency brought down the mighty Roman Empire and discarded it onto the ash-heap of failed nation-states. Like a cancerous tumor that spread to every organ in the Empire, Rome could no longer sustain itself. The host was destroyed slowly and painfully until there was nothing left but a hallowed out carcass.
In Germany, everything Hitler did was legal. Just because the government declares something to be legal does not make it just or moral, much less lawful. General warrants, indefinite detention without due process, assassinating American citizens without due process , gun registration and/or confiscation, etc. are the acts of tyrants and despots.
The truth is the country is broke and broken. The debt, spending, and unfunded liabilities are unsustainable. That is a mathematically certainty. By its very definition something that is unsustainable must, at some point, end. The only question is when. Do you think the government will tell you this? Would they tell you they are debasing the currency and destroying wealth and productivity? Would they tell you decades of government planning and programs have failed? Would they tell you this knowing what is coming?
Government is becoming more desperate and divisive which makes government that much more dangerous. Laws are stricter and more punitive. Enforcement is more rigorous and brutal. “We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.” – Ayn Rand
Mother should I trust the government.